Quick healthy dinner recipe - Mexican black bean quesadillas
This Mexican inspired black bean quesadilla is a yummy quick healthy dinner or lunch recipe that is a guaranteed hit with all the family. The great thing about this quick healthy dinner is you can substitute the ingredients so easily. Swap out the feta for any cheese you like or leave it out and go vegan, you still get lots of lovely creaminess from the avocado.
Keep it healthy and get some good quality wholemeal wraps - when you can get your hands on them we love East to West flatbreads that have simple real food ingredients.
1 tins black beans (2)
2 shallots (4)
1 avocado (2)
100g feta (200)
80g corn (160g)
10g cherry tomatoes (20)
2 whole meal tortillas (4)
6-8 g fresh coriander (12.5)
2 medium tomatoes (4)
1 small clove garlic (1)
1 lime (1)
Quarter tsp chilli powder (half)
Half tsp garlic powder (1)
Half tsp paprika (1)
Half tsp cumin (1)
Half tsp oregano (1)
Portions: 2 (4 portion amounts in brackets)
Time: 30 minutes
Quick healthy dinner method:
**It’s best to read through fully before starting**
- Line up equipment
- 1 large frying pan
- 2 mixing bowls
- 1 spatula
- Pre heat oven to low-medium
- Extra ingredients
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A little oil for cooking
- Make your salsa
- Finely chop one of the shallots and garlic and add to a mixing bowl
- Roughly chop the medium tomatoes and add to the bowl
- Squeeze in the juice of the lime (2 person box use half and use rest for garnish)
- Roughly chop and add the coriander
- Mix the ingredients and season with salt and pepper to your liking. Set aside.
- Prepare your other ingredients
- Finely chop the remaining shallots and place into another separate mixing bowl. (Not the one you used for the salsa).
- Dice avocado into same bowl
- Drain black beans and into same bowl
- Corn, same bowl.
- Roughly chop the cherry tomatoes and into same bowl
- Spice blend, same bowl
- Crumble the feta into?...... you guessed it, same bowl!
- Mix ingredients together with a fork
- Make the Quesadillas
- Lay out your tortillas and cover evenly with a layer of filling from your mixing bowl. Leave 1cm of space from the edge.
- Fold each quesadilla in half, doing your best to keep all of the mixture within!
- Cook your Quesadillas
- In a large frying pan heat a tablespoon of oil, medium high heat.
- Cook your quesadillas one by one. You want to get a nice brown crisp on each side and for the feta to be melting.
- If you want to serve all the quesadillas at once, you can keep cooked ones warm in a low oven.
- Serve up
- Cut each quesadilla in half and eat as they are or with a side salad. Enjoy!
Want to get our recipes direct to your inbox?
Check out our recipe boxes -