Healthy fake away - Chicken Char siu with cauliflower rice
One of the most difficult things to do is break the take away habit. Sometimes all you need is a big plate of comfort food. Thing is, you don't have to go for the gloopy, full of salt rubbish - this is a super healthy fake away dish that gives you every bit of the satisfaction of a chinese takeaway - in fact, more so because you won't feel bloated and crap after this one. Healthy eating is all about good habits and this fake away is bursting with flavour, but keeps you well and truly on the wagon.
2 Chicken breasts (4)
20ml soy sauce (40ml)
20ml hoisin sauce (40ml)
2 tbsp. Rice Wine Vinegar (4tbsp)
2 tbsp. honey (4tbsp)
1 clove garlic (2)
1 tsp Chinese 5 spice (2 tsp)
½ head cauliflower (1)
1 red pepper (2)
1 carrot (2)
80g sugar snap peas (160g)
1 Spring onions (2)
2tsp sesame seeds (4)
Fake away method:
**It’s best to read through fully before starting**
- Line up equipment
- 1 wok or large saucepan
- 1 baking tray
- Chopping knife
- Sieve / strainer
- 1 grater or blender/food processor.
- Bowls for prepared ingredients
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- Extra ingredients
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive Oil
- Prep your veg and meat
- Thinly slice your spring onions. Keep some aside for garnish.
- Remove the large stalks from the cauliflower. And finely grate the florets. Or if you have a blender or food processor just pop the florets in that instead. (You only need to blitz lightly as it will break up quickly)
- Slice your red pepper into thin strips.
- Peel and finely slice carrot.
- Trim ends off the sugar snap peas.
- Thinly slice your chicken into strips.
- Make your sauce
- Place your soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice wine vinegar and honey in a bowl.
- Crush clove of garlic and add to the bowl. Mix well.
- Then add Chinese 5 spice and stir well.
- Once sauce is ready add in the sliced chicken.
- Leave to marinate
- Roast your rice
- Place grated cauliflower on the baking tray and spread out in an even layer.
- Drizzle with 1 tbsp. (2 tbsp) of olive oil.
- Place in the oven to roast. (10-15mins). Meanwhile move on to step 6.
- Get ready to wok
- Heat 1tbsp (2tbsp) oil on medium heat and add the sliced chicken and the sauce. Fry for 4-5 mins.
- Add in peppers, carrots, sugar snap peas and spring onion. Stir well and fry for 3-4 mins.
- Check on cauliflower rice.
- Fry for 2-3 more mins and get ready to serve.
- Build your dish
- Serve on plates or in bowls.
- Portion cauliflower in each dish.
- Ladle stir-fry mix into the serving dish.
- Top with some sliced spring onions and sesame seeds.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you want to add salt and pepper to the cauliflower only add it after the cauliflower is cooked. Adding salt to it before it cooks causes it to become tough!