INGREDIENTS (for 2 persons)
150g Brown Rice
2 Chicken Breasts
1 tin Coconut Milk
4 Lime Leaves
Half a thumb Galangal (or Ginger)
1 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
1 Bird Eye Chilli (optional)
1 Red Chilli
15g Fresh Coriander
1 Stalk Lemongrass
Prep your flavour elements, veg and meat
- Peel any loose or dry leaves from the lemongrass.
- Soften the lemongrass stalk by placing it on a chopping board and bruising it with the underside of a saucepan a few times
- Cut the lemongrass stalk into roughly 5cm lengths (The lemongrass is for flavour – it’s too woody to eat. Pick the stalks out as you eat. Same applies to lime leaves).
- Soften the bird eye chillies in the same way, keeping them whole. (Again these are for flavour, eat them if you dare but be warned)!
- Finely chop the larger chilli. (De-seed for less heat or use half)
- Finely chop your galangal.
- Roughly chop the coriander.
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces
- Quarter the mushrooms
Get the rice on
- 2 parts boiling water from kettle to 1 part rice.
- Bring to simmer and cover
- The rice will need 25 minutes
Make the soup
- In your large saucepan / wok heat the coconut milk until bubbling on a medium heat.
- Add lemongrass, lime leaves, bird eye chillies and galangal / ginger.
- Add chicken pieces to wok / pan.
- Keep the pan bubbling.
- Add mushrooms.
- When the chicken is cooked through add chopped chilli.
- Juice the lime(s) directly into wok
- Add fish sauce
- Add roughly chopped coriander. Keep a little back for garnish if you wish.
- Stir and you are ready to serve.
- You may need to add a little water depending on your desired consistency or if your pan has dried out.
Build your dish
- Serve your dish in bowls, with rice at the bottom and soup ladled on top.
- Enjoy! :)
Want to get our recipes direct to your inbox?
Check out our recipe boxes -